ixsystems changed how plugins worked for FreeNAS 11.3, a plugin installed on FreeNAS 11.2 will no longer update correctly. This is a guide on how to install Plex (and possibly other) plugins on FreeNAS 11.3
- Go to the Plugins page and select either Plex Media Server or Plex Media Server Beta (The only difference is the Beta version is for people who subscribe to Plex Pass).
- Hit Install
- Under Jail Name, create a name for you Plex Installation – I used PlexServer for this post. You can either assign an address via DHCP or set a static IP address. I choose to leave it on DHCP as I have had issues when setting a static IP address.
- Hit Save
- FreeNAS will then start the package installation which can take 5 to 10 minutes
- Once Plex is installed, go to Storage, and then Pools in FreeNAS
- If you do not already have a pool, create a separate pool for your media, I creatively called mine Media.
- Click on the three vertical dots to the right of the of the screen underneath the gear icon.
- Add a New ACL Setup the ACL as follows:
- Scroll down and check the Apply Permissions Recursively box
- Hit Save
For more information on why this needs to be done, have a look at this FreeNAS blog post – Plex Permissions in FreeNAS 11.3
Last updated: 2020/03/29